Here is the truth, the un-inhibited, soul-baring truth. I am crushed about the Ironman. Like crushed in a way that when I try to rationalize it, doesn’t even make sense to me. So, I am left with this overwhelming amount of don’t-know-what-the-hell-to-do-ism.
Do I train for another full? Start from scratch and re-build and get back on that horse again? Do I pick a better race for a first-timer? Do I have the time? Do I have the energy? How will my family feel? The answers to these questions, I haven’t fully answered. I don’t think it is in the cards right away. I think that I if I do go back to a full, it will be down the road. But I can’t promise that, and I reserve the right to change my mind…
But the things that I have decided are these:
- Pick a 70.3, focus hard on improving my 70.3 time
- Work hard on base building this winter, the 70.3 I have in mind is in June, so actual training would start in about 7 weeks
- Focus on improving my running speed
- Drop some post-ironman-blues pounds in the next 7 weeks
- Do several shorter distance races, focusing on fun and improving my speed
- Add strength training in my training plan
More to come, so stay tuned.