Training for an Ironman is hard. But fueling, hydrating, supplementing while trying to keep your body healthy, injury-free, and improving is much harder (in my humble opinion).
Let me start this by saying that I love to eat. And I don’t love to eat salads, vegetables and lean meats. I LOVE to eat pizza, and nachos, and potato chips and above all these tacos (well, any Mexican food, to be honest). So eating healthy is not what I want to do. Training has always been a way to keep my body at my idea of my ideal weight while still stuffing my face with whatever sounds delicious and usually covered in cheese.
BUT… Fueling (eating, hydration and supplementation) is like the fourth disciple of training. I have to run, so I lace up my shoes and run on the path that is most exhausting, hit the hills although I hate them and focusing on every way that I can improve. I have to swim, so I spend endless hours in the pool, trying different techniques and ideas to improve my stroke, my form, my breathing. I have to bike, so I park my trainer in the living room, or I go ride in crazy traffic and I spend the time I need to in the saddle. But all of this is irrelevant if I eat and hydrate like a college frat boy. Fueling my body properly is what fuels my training, fueling improves my body composition, fueling is probably the key to it all.
So… This is where my eating has evolved to. At least right now, as this is always an every-changing process of understanding my own body and what it needs while not making me hate the process. I am not Paleo, I am not low carb, but I am trying very hard to be making good food choices and trying to eat as many “whole foods” as I can with limited processed foods. I will post another day what my typically daily nutrition looks like.
- Nuun Energy tablet, at least 1, in 8oz water
- Why: You lose electrolytes when you exercise and they are vital for hydration, Nuun replaces your electrolytes. Your electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Sodium maintains your fluid balance, potassium prevents muscle cramps, magnesium relaxes muscles and calcium is necessary for normal muscle function. Nuun also has caffeine from green tree extract.
- BCAAs, 1 scoop, in the above mentioned 8oz water
- Why: Replenishment of BCAAs increases the raw materials for muscle tissues, contributing to muscle building. When we do strenuous exercise for a lengthy period, the body begins to decompose proteins and consume BCAAs in order to compensate for insufficient energy sources.
- Beta-Alanine, 1 scoop, in the above mentioned 8oz water
- Why: Beta-Alanine acts a vasodilator, upping the oxygen flow to your muscles, and if that’s not enough, its main effects relate to carnosine, a molecule that buffers against fatigue in high intensity efforts. Beta-alanine has been shown to raise the amount of time that cyclists can spend riding at their maximum power output by about 12 percent.
- Onnit Shroom Tech Sport, 3 tablets
- Why: This is simply stated clean energy. It’s a combination of cordyceps sinensis mushroom, adaptogens, antioxidants, and methyl B-12. It is supposed to battle fatigue by providing cellular energy through the production of ATP rather than purely stimulant-based energy, and helping the body to improve oxygen utilization so you can go longer and recover faster.
- Naproxen Sodium, 2 tablets
- Why: Because I am an old lady and I have some aches and pains about 80% of the time, and this is what the pharmacist that I work with suggested to be the best pain reliever to use long term with the least risk for side effects.
- Infinit Nutrition, 1 scopp every hour of training (click here!)
- Why: I’ve simplified all my racing and training nutrition at Infinit Nutrition and have been totally impressed. They worked with me to create a custom-blended nutrition solution made just for me. It eliminated ALL of the gels, food and salt pills and they make my formula taste just like I want. Amazing company. Who doesn’t want their fuel to taste like Salted Carmel??
- Nuun Energy tablets, 1 tablet every hour of training
- Why: See above. I cannot get enough of these!
- Infinit MUD
- Why: Um! Yes! Coffee! Chocolate! AND so delicious. Aids in recovery. Has a jolt of caffeine. This has replaced my morning coffee. I love it!
- Why: (I just started doing this after reading an article all about antioxidants, the way that they effect your body and that blueberries are the absolute best thing out there to eat for this to occur.)
- Magnesium, 800 mg
- Magnesium has a mile long list of benefits. But for me it’s simple. It reduces muscle and joint pain. It helps me sleep.
- Onnit New Mood, 2 tablets
- Serotonin has been shown to be a key neurotransmitter linked to mood, happiness, and positive outlook. Combining the two raw building blocks of serotonin, L-tryptophan and 5-HTP, with a converting catalyst, Vitamin B6, New MOOD provides the nutrients to help the body optimize serotonin levels.
- Forts Calm Tabs, 3 tablets
- This is the perfect combination for restful sleep.